The start of the 20th century saw the arrival or orthodontics, a specialised field of dentistry that is primarily concerned with crooked teeth and while steel wire braces have been around for a long time, there are innovative devices that can be removed and they do the same job as steel wire braces. Here are just a few of the dental conditions that come under the umbrella of orthodontics.
- Overcrowding – It is common for a person to have inadequate space for all their teeth to fully erupt and the use of orthodontics will straighten the teeth, thus reducing the overcrowding. This can be achieved with either regular steel wire braces, or the innovative clear plastic aligners, called Invisalign, which is moulded into the correct shape by the dentist.
- Diastema – This is when a person has a gap between their two front teeth and while this is not an issue, some people would like to reduce the gap for cosmetic reasons. Indeed, orthodontics can treat most gaps, and with Lane Cove orthodontics treatment, you can improve your smile by removing gaps between your teeth. Finding an orthodontist is not difficult if you search with Google. There will be one in the city where you live, as many people require this type of treatment.
- Jaw Misalignment – If the jaw is misaligned, this can be treated using an orthodontic device prepared by the orthodontist, which is a specialised field of dentistry that is primarily focused on teeth and jaw alignment. This problem is much easier to resolve in a growing child than an adult and the condition usually does affect a person in their younger years.
- Overbites & Underbites – An overbite is where the top section of the jaw extends beyond the bottom section, and this can be treated using orthodontics. An underbite is the opposite of an overbite, when the lower jaw protrudes from the upper jaw and this condition can also be treated using orthodontics.
- Open Bites – This is typically caused by constant use of a pacifier by a child, or excessive thumb-sucking can also cause the front teeth to angle outwards, which can be treated by wearing an orthodontic device that is prepared by the orthodontist. If your child has these habits, then you should consult with an orthodontist who can check whether or not your child has an open bite issue.
Orthodontics are a very specialised field of dentistry that is used to treat all of the above conditions and should you need to see an orthodontist, a Google search will reveal the whereabouts of a local practice. If your child has teeth alignment issues, now is the time to take them to see an orthodontist, as he or she can check for correct alignment and straighten the teeth using braces or Invisalign.
The importance of good oral hygiene can never be underestimated and you should brush and floss after every meal and before and after sleep, as bad oral hygiene can often lead to other dental issues.